In this beginner’s guide, we’ll show you how to make music on your computer using some simple tools and software.
Checkout this video:
In this guide, we will show you how to make music on your computer. We will go over the basics of how to create and record melodies, beats, and tracks using a variety of software programs and tools.
With the proliferation of digital audio workstations (DAWs) and virtual instruments, it has never been easier to make music on your computer. Whether you want to create beats for hip hop songs or layer synthesizer tracks for an electronic dance tune, you can do it all with a few clicks of your mouse.
In this guide, we will cover the following topics:
-Choosing a DAW
-Working with MIDI
-Mixing and Mastering
What You Need
To make music on your computer, you will need a few basic things:
-A computer. This can be a desktop, a laptop, or even a tablet. Any modern computer should be able to handle music-making software.
-Music-making software. This is the program that you will use to create your music. There are many different types of music-making software, so it’s important to choose one that’s right for you. Some programs are very simple and easy to use, while others are much more complex and allow you to create very sophisticated music.
-A MIDI controller. This is a device that allows you to control the music-making software with your hands. MIDI controllers come in all shapes and sizes, from simple keyboard controllers to more complex devices that look like mixers or drum kits.
Once you have these things, you’re ready to start making music on your computer!
Setting Up Your Computer
You don’t need much to start making music on your computer. In fact, all you need is a computer, some software, and a MIDI controller.
1. Get a MIDI controller.
2. Pick your DAW software.
3. Choose some virtual instruments.
4. Connect your MIDI controller to your computer.
5. Start making music!
Finding and Downloading Music Software
There are a variety of ways to find and download music software for your computer. You can find music software through online retailers, download it from the manufacturer’s website, or get it from a variety of other sources.
When you’re looking for music software, it’s important to consider what you want to use it for. If you’re just starting out, you may want to look for something that’s easy to use and has a lot of tutorials or support available. If you’re more experienced, you may want something that has more features and options.
Once you’ve decided what you want to use your music software for, you can start looking for it. Here are a few places to look:
– Online retailers: Amazon, eBay, and others sell a variety of music software. You can often find good deals on these websites, but be sure to read the reviews before buying anything.
– Manufacturer’s website: Many companies that make music software offer free downloads from their website. You can usually find these by searching for the name of the company or the name of the software on a search engine.
– Other sources: There are a number of other places where you can find music software, including download sites like CNET, shareware sites, and forums.
Connecting Your Instruments
If you want to use your computer to make music, you’re going to need to connect your instruments. This can be done in a few different ways, depending on what type of instrument you’re using.
MIDI instruments can be connected to your computer using a MIDI Interface. This is a small device that plugs into your computer’s USB port and allows your instrument to communicate with the software.
If you’re using an acoustic instrument, such as a piano or guitar, you’ll need to use an audio interface. This is a device that plugs into your computer’s USB port and converts the signal from your instrument into a digital format that can be understood by the computer.
Once you’ve got your interface set up, you’ll need to install some music software. This will allow you to record, edit, and mix your music. There are a lot of different options out there, so do some research and find one that suits your needs.
Recording Your First Track
Now that you have your computer and software set up, it’s time to start recording your first track. The basic process is this:
1. Choose the musical instrument or sound you want to record. This can be either a real-world instrument like a guitar or piano, or a virtual instrument from your computer’s software.
2. Set up your recording device. This could be a microphone if you’re recording an acoustic instrument, or a MIDI interface if you’re using virtual instruments.
3. Connect your recording device to your computer using either a physical cable or a wireless connection.
4. Launch your chosen recording software on your computer. This will open up a digital audio workstation (DAW), which is where you’ll actually make your music.
5. Create a new project in your DAW, then create a new track. In the track settings, choose the input source for your Recording device and make sure the track is set to record.
6. Hit the record button in your DAW and start playing your instrument or sound! When you’re finished, hit stop and listen back to see how it sounds. If you’re happy with it, save the track; if not, try again until you get something you’re happy with.
Adding Effects and Processing Your Sound
Now that you’ve learned how to record audio and add instruments to your project, it’s time to start playing around with the sound itself. In this section, we’ll show you how to add effects and process your sound in Audacity.
Effects can be used to change the way your audio sounds, whether it’s making it louder, quieter, adding echo, or changing the pitch. To add an effect, simply click on the Effect menu and select the desired effect. For more information on each effect and what it does, see the Audacity Manual.
Once you’ve applied an effect, you may want to change some of the settings or remove it altogether. To do this, click on the button next to the effect name in the Effect Stack (the list of applied effects). This will open up a window where you can change the settings or remove the effect entirely.
If you want to apply the same effect to multiple tracks, you can use Audacity’s Chain feature. To do this, select all of the tracks you want to apply the effect to, then click on Chain from the Effects menu. This will open up a window where you can select which effects to apply and in what order. Once you’re happy with your selections, click OK and all of the selected tracks will have the same effects applied.
Mixing and Exporting Your Track
Now that you have all of your sounds recorded, it’s time to mix them together. This is where you can adjust the volume levels, add effects, and generally make everything sound good together. A lot of people spend a lot of time on this step, so don’t worry if it takes you a while to get things sounding the way you want them to.
Once you’re happy with your mix, it’s time to export it as an audio file. This is the file that you’ll give to your friends or put online for people to download. To export your track, go to File > Export > Audio. You’ll need to choose a format and a quality setting. For format, MP3 is a good choice because it’s widely supported and sounds good at lower bitrates. For quality, 128 kbps should be fine for most purposes.
And that’s it! With this guide, you should now be able to make basic music on your computer using nothing more than a few freeware programs.
Now that you know the basics of how to make music on your computer, you can experiment and create your own sounds. Remember to start with a simple song or melody, and build from there. With practice, you’ll be creating digital music like a pro in no time!
-The PC Music Guide
-How to Make Music on Your Computer for Free
-The Best Free Music Making Software of 2018